[OpenAFS] Re: Windows AFS client / Kerberos V

Rodney M Dyer rmdyer@uncc.edu
Mon, 29 Jan 2007 12:52:49 -0500

At 12:06 PM 1/29/2007, Joe Buehler wrote:
>Is there any backwards compatible way to run a Windows client against an
>MIT K5 KDC or am I forced to mass-install MIT Kerberos for Windows and
>re-educate my users?

You can install the MIT Kerb for Win libraries on your clients fairly
simply (backgrounded "silent") by installing only the core libraries.  You
simply create a directory on the users local disk, copy the core libraries
into that directory, modify the system path to point to that directory,
then finally add the krb5.ini (krb5.conf in 'nix-land) to the %systemroot%
folder (usually c:\windows, or c:\winnt).

This is what my "c:\admin\bin\krb5" folder looks like:

      comerr32.dll
      gss-client.exe
      gss-server.exe
      gss.exe
      gssapi32.dll
      k524init.exe
      kclnt32.dll
      kdestroy.exe
      kinit.exe
      klist.exe
      kpasswd.exe
      krb524.dll
      krb5_32.dll
      krbcc32.dll
      krbcc32s.exe
      krbv4w32.dll
      kvno.exe
      leash32.chm
      leash32.exe
      leashw32.dll
      ms2mit.exe
      wshelp32.dll
      xpprof32.dll

And my "c:\winnt" contains:

      krb.con
      krb5.ini
      krbrealm.con

I'm fairly sure you'd no longer need "krb.con", and "krbrealm.con".

As long as the Windows OpenAFS client can "see" the folder that you put the
core libraries into, then you should have no problems.  About the most your
users will have to do is logout, and log back in to make sure the KRB
folder is in their system path.

HOWEVER!  Performing the full install of the Kerb for Windows client using
the MSI would probably be just as easy, if not more "proper".

Rodney