[OpenAFS] AFS and XEN Virtualization

Jeff Greer j.greer@oclcpica.org
Mon, 09 Jul 2007 13:41:55 -0500

I am in the process of researching migration from windows serves to
Linux. Currently my windows servers use DFS. I want to know if the
following will work.

2 replicating failover AFS servers
10 Fedora Core - AFS Client - web servers

I would also like to make the AFS servers double as virtualization
servers for low traffic network services like mail, ftp and low traffic
webs. The remaining 10 web servers would get their web files and
Tomcat/Apache/Java installations from the pair of AFS servers.

The web applications are caching so once a disk file is read in it is
cached until the application is restarted. This should help reduce the
network traffic.

All servers would have bonded GIG ethernet.

I am planning my AFS servers to use the following hardware
Dual Core AMD Opteron 2216, 2x1MB Cache, 2.4 GHz, 1 GHz HyperTransport
8 GIG memory
Dual GIG Ethernet NICs

My question is this...can AFS and Xen coexist on the same machine well?

Thanks.

Jeff