[OpenAFS] AFS and XEN Virtualization

Thomas Kula kula@tproa.net
Mon, 9 Jul 2007 15:58:47 -0400

On Mon, Jul 09, 2007 at 01:41:55PM -0500, Jeff Greer wrote:

> My question is this...can AFS and Xen coexist on the same machine well?

You might want to look at the talk I gave at this year's workshop:
 http://www.pmw.org/afsbpw07/talks/kula.html
 "Xen as a test environment"

Xen-side I have had fairly good stability, although that has
been with Intel hardware running NetBSD. I did some rough
testing of stuff running Linux for the talk, and it seemed to
work fine. My home cell runs all on Xen-hosted domains and
seems to run well, but it is fairly low use (about a dozen
users, with me being the only real load on afs).

I would keep a close eye on your i/o systems throughput, and
how well that works when you add additional stuff on to a
particular machine. For me, the bottleneck seems to be disk
i/o. As a previous poster mentioned, you can migrate things
slowly, ramping up the load on a system until you've found
the level you want.

Modulo sizing the load on your system properly, AFS and Xen
seem to co-exist very well, at least for me.

--
Thomas L. Kula | kula@tproa.net | http://kula.tproa.net/