[OpenAFS] Rebuild of crashed server

Steven Jenkins steven.jenkins@gmail.com
Thu, 14 Jun 2007 11:16:53 -0400

------=_Part_23626_33323223.1181834213566

On 6/14/07, David Sonenberg <dsonenberg@strozllc.com> wrote:

> I have a openafs environment with 4 AFS servers, where the database is
> replicated to all but one of the servers.  The server that houses the
> volumes for the root of the directory has crashed.  The file system is
> currently running fsck --rebuild-tree but I expect that it will not come
> back.  I have recent dumps of all the volumes housed on that server, as
> well as readonly copies on all the other servers.  My question is if I
> need to recreate the dead server, what is the best way to go about it?

A lot depends on how you have set things up and what shape your backups and
RO's are in.  There are many, many ways to do a rescue of a dead server.  A
decent place to start is:

vos listvldb -server $deadserver to show you what the VLDB thinks is on the
server.  You can then use that and the backups you have to do vos restore's
for the RW volumes.  You can always vos dump from an RO and then vos restore
the RW from that.  If you don't have a clone, you'll have to restore from
backups.  If you don't have backups, your data is lost.

Once you have rebuilt the RW's, go ahead and do vos release's on the RW's
you've restored that have ROs.

At that point, compare the output of vos listvol vs vos listvldb for your
server -- they should be the same.

Note: _don't_ do a vos syncserv or vos syncvldb unless you know what you're
doing.

Good luck.

Steven

------=_Part_23626_33323223.1181834213566

currently running fsck --rebuild-tree but I expect that it will not come<br>back.&nbsp;&nbsp;I have recent dumps of all the volumes housed on that server, as<br>well as readonly copies on all the other servers.&nbsp;&nbsp;My question is if I

------=_Part_23626_33323223.1181834213566--