[OpenAFS] Rebuild of crashed server

Christopher D. Clausen cclausen@acm.org
Thu, 14 Jun 2007 10:09:04 -0500

David Sonenberg <dsonenberg@strozllc.com> wrote:
> I have a openafs environment with 4 AFS servers, where the database is
> replicated to all but one of the servers.  The server that houses the
> volumes for the root of the directory has crashed.  The file system is
> currently running fsck --rebuild-tree but I expect that it will not
> come back.  I have recent dumps of all the volumes housed on that
> server, as well as readonly copies on all the other servers.  My
> question is if I need to recreate the dead server, what is the best
> way to go about it?

There is the vos convertROtoRW command, if you are sure that the down
server will not come back up (and you are using the NAMEI version of the
fileserver.)  You can also just start restoring your dumps, either to
the other servers (if you have enough diskspace) or to a newly installed
server on the same IP as the downed one.

In fact, you can even bring up a new fileserver only machine on a
completely new IP and restore things there, if you intend to reinstall
the downed one and move files back to it.

<<CDC