[OpenAFS] Re: cyrus with storage in afs?

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Tue, 26 Jun 2007 14:52:44 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007, Adam Megacz wrote:

>> are you going to have multiple front ends accessing the data, or just
>> one machine?
>
> For argument's sake, let's assume only a single front-end (imapd)
> machine.

That's not especially dangerous, then. the worst risk is screwing with
Cyrus' idea of the universe if a volume goes away under it, like, in
particular i'm uncertain we ever audited cyrus to see if it handled write
failures correctly in every case, and if the volume goes away, a write can
and obviously will fail. if it's not right in every case it's certainly
very close.

>> i'm kind of curious how this particular use for afs came up.
>
> Well, they have a gigantic cyrus installation already.  They're
> considering OpenAFS as a unifying technology.  Cyrus-on-AFS was just
> an idea that got tossed out; I don't think anybody was particularly
> bent on doing it.

who tossed it out, is what i'm wondering, just for curiosity.