[OpenAFS] Re: cyrus with storage in afs?

Adam Megacz megacz@cs.berkeley.edu
Tue, 26 Jun 2007 11:47:45 -0700

Derrick J Brashear <shadow@dementia.org> writes:
>> Robert Banz <banz@umbc.edu> writes:
>>> Don't try to use Cyrus on AFS.  It's a losing proposition from a
>>> performance and data integrity standpoint.
>>
>> Sorry to resurrect an old thread here, but I recently got grilled on
>> this point and was embarrassed at being unable to give a precise
>> ansewr...  assuming that performance is no concern whatsoever, what
>> exactly are the data integrity issues that come up when using AFS to
>> store Cyrus data?

> are you going to have multiple front ends accessing the data, or just
> one machine?

For argument's sake, let's assume only a single front-end (imapd)
machine.

> i know which people you were talking to,

Indeed, as does Russ.  Perhaps others.

> i'm kind of curious how this particular use for afs came up.

Well, they have a gigantic cyrus installation already.  They're
considering OpenAFS as a unifying technology.  Cyrus-on-AFS was just
an idea that got tossed out; I don't think anybody was particularly
bent on doing it.

Ultimately, the no-cyrus-on-afs restriction wasn't the problem; the
fact that it was of mysterious and inexplicable origins was what
turned out to be really damaging.

  - a

--
PGP/GPG: 5C9F F366 C9CF 2145 E770  B1B8 EFB1 462D A146 C380