[OpenAFS] Vos functions and clones and shadows

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Tue, 26 Jun 2007 16:29:27 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007, Steve Simmons wrote:

> On Jun 26, 2007, at 4:37 AM, Dr A V Le Blanc wrote:
>
>> According to the FAQ, shadow volumes which are not live do not appear
>> in the VLDB.  Clones created by 'vos clone' are in the VLDB, but
>> they will be removed from the VLDB if a volume is deleted by
>> 'vos remove'.
>
> I thought that was what would happen, but I've been corrected here - manually
> named clones persist after the deletion/move of the volume, and will have to
> be removed explicitly.

right.

> Once a dangling clone (nice term) has been created, it's pretty much not a
> clone any more. In some senses, it becomes a full production volume.
> However... this is one of those edge condition things that we'd like to get
> settled out based on broader input from the community. Unlike other normal

the problem is it lives in the volume group of its parent, so it's a
halfling. parent's gone, but... yeah, like you say

> Dan Hyde can probably respond to this more accurately than I can, but I
> believe that we have modified vos syncvldb such that it does not put shadows
> into the vldb unless you use an additional switch which we have created.

put the patches you have in rt.
we'll figure out what can and should get merged.