[OpenAFS] Re: Vos functions and clones and shadows

Adam Megacz megacz@cs.berkeley.edu
Tue, 26 Jun 2007 14:41:12 -0700

Derrick J Brashear <shadow@dementia.org> writes:
> the problem is it lives in the volume group of its parent, so it's a
> halfling. parent's gone, but... yeah, like you say

While we're on the topic, what is the reason for having volume groups
in the first place rather than just having a reference in the volume
header saying "I am a backup volume for volume XYZ" to establish
volume relationships?

Is the "volume numbers share all but the last three bits" criterion
visible to the cache manager, or is this something that could be
altered just on the servers and admin clients (vos, bos, etc)?

  - a

--
PGP/GPG: 5C9F F366 C9CF 2145 E770  B1B8 EFB1 462D A146 C380