[OpenAFS] vos listvol and vos exam

Steven Jenkins steven.jenkins@gmail.com
Thu, 28 Jun 2007 09:46:23 -0400

------=_Part_37785_28526702.1183038383583

On 6/28/07, Steve Devine <sdevine@msu.edu> wrote:

> Steven Jenkins wrote:
> >

> > On 6/28/07, *Steve Devine* <sdevine@msu.edu <mailto:sdevine@msu.edu>>
> > wrote:
> >
> >     We have switched some of our servers over to binaries compiled
> >     with fast
> >     restart.
> >

> > Others may disagree, but my opinion is that Fast Restart is not yet
> > ready for production use.  Testing is always helpful, though.
> Man I'm sorry to hear that .. we used this because we wanted to shorten
> the down time for bringing a server back on line when it has 1.2
> possible disk space. That a long salvage window but maybe it would have
> been worth it.

I was talking about something else not being ready for production, not Fast
Restart (which is fine for production).  My apologies.

Fast Restart can shorten your startup times, but it leaves the System
Administrator to do the salvaging.  Were I to use Fast Restart, I would

- parse the output of FileLog after startup (or vos listvol vs vos listvldb
output) to get a list of volumes to salvage manually,
- possibly prioritize those (eg, bring RW's online first, not RO's that have
good copies elsewhere, etc)
- manually salvage them

I'd have that in a script to be run after a restart.

The benefit of Fast Restart is that even if you have a lot of volumes that
need to be salvaged, the fileserver can be serving other volumes while you
manually salvage the rest.  Keep in mind that you'll have to salvage those
one at a time or bos will shut the fileserver down.  If you have to salvage
a lot of volumes, Fast Restart will actually slow down your recovery time,
so you'll want to consider that trade-off.  (ie, you can't salvage in
parallel while the fileserver is running)

Steven