[OpenAFS] Re: unix owner/group of files in AFS

FB fbo2@gmx.net
Tue, 20 Mar 2007 20:58:41 +0100

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 20, 2007 at 10:56:23AM -0500, Christopher D. Clausen wrote:
> FB <fbo2@gmx.net> wrote:

[snip]

> > Based on nss_pts, i wrote nss-ptdb which provides some more features:
> >   * fake homedirectory information from ptdb
> >     ( homedir= /afs/$cellname/user/$username )
> >   * client-server-based: because of threading-issues, the actual
> >     afs-calls are done by a small local server process. The
> >     nss-plugin communicates with that server process to resolve names.
> >   * debian-packages are available :-)
> >
> > I've got two AFS-cells using libnss-ptdb exclusively for
> > username-lookup.
> >
> > Sourcecode is available here:
> >

> > ftp://instantafs.cbs.mpg.de/instantafs/debian/sarge/libnss-ptdb/1.0.5-3+1sarge
>
> Hmm... what do you do for user shell info?  Just assume that there are
> local /etc/passwd accounts for anyone who actually needs to login to the
> machine?

No. The nss-plugin actually returns this:

('frank','x',1000,65534,'frank','/afs/alpha/user/frank','/bin/bash')

Nobody here uses a shell different from Bash which is why i didn't really
cared about make the login shell non-static.

> How hard would it be to fake shell info as well, say by creating
> shell.zsh, shell.bash, etc PTS groups and putting a pts user in one?

Shouldn't be complicated. But maybe it's a better idea to evaluate a file
or a symlink in the user's home-volume.

Regards,

Frank