[OpenAFS] Re: unix owner/group of files in AFS

Christopher D. Clausen cclausen@acm.org
Tue, 20 Mar 2007 10:56:23 -0500

FB <fbo2@gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Mar 19, 2007 at 07:13:21PM -0700, Adam Megacz wrote:
>>
>> Derrick J Brashear <shadow@dementia.org> writes:
>>> someone had nss_pts. that's the right idea.
>>
>> http://tarna.oit.unc.edu/~utoddl/nss_pts_0.2.tgz
>>
>> Hey neat, the output of 'ls' shows pts names.
>
> Based on nss_pts, i wrote nss-ptdb which provides some more features:
>   * fake homedirectory information from ptdb
>     ( homedir= /afs/$cellname/user/$username )
>   * client-server-based: because of threading-issues, the actual
>     afs-calls are done by a small local server process. The
>     nss-plugin communicates with that server process to resolve names.
>   * debian-packages are available :-)
>
> I've got two AFS-cells using libnss-ptdb exclusively for
> username-lookup.
>
> Sourcecode is available here:
>

> ftp://instantafs.cbs.mpg.de/instantafs/debian/sarge/libnss-ptdb/1.0.5-3+1sarge

Hmm... what do you do for user shell info?  Just assume that there are
local /etc/passwd accounts for anyone who actually needs to login to the
machine?

How hard would it be to fake shell info as well, say by creating
shell.zsh, shell.bash, etc PTS groups and putting a pts user in one?

<<CDC