[OpenAFS] openafs w/ amd64 kernel and 32bit user space

Carson Gaspar carson@taltos.org
Fri, 23 Mar 2007 15:48:12 -0700

Chaskiel M Grundman wrote:
> --On Friday, March 23, 2007 12:33:42 PM -0400 Christopher Allen Wing
> <wingc@engin.umich.edu> wrote:
>
>> Yes, this works; however, why do you want to use 32-bit user space?
>
> Not that I know ken's reasoning, but here's why I would do so:
>
> Because I already have a managed 32-bit environment, and creating a
> 64-bit version of that environment would take more effort than I can
> afford to spend (but building and testing a kernel and some kernel
> modules would not)

And sadly many user-land pieces still are not 64-bit clean. I know that
I've had to fall back to 32-bit mode for several apps on my Solaris x86
server, as I didn't have the time & energy to fix the crappy source.

--
Carson