[OpenAFS] Re: unix owner/group of files in AFS

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Fri, 30 Mar 2007 14:48:20 -0400

On Friday, March 30, 2007 01:25:31 PM +0200 FB <fbo2@gmx.net> wrote:

>> I'll bet you also haven't tried it with a fileserver down.
>
> Yes. Actually, my test cell has some fileservers and one of 3 db-servers
> down-by-default. The only impact is a short delay on bootup of the
> afs-client until ptdbnssd marked the db-server down.
>
> Did I mention, that the nss-plug is just a very small piece of software,
> talking to a local server process (ptdbnssd) which does the real
> PTDB-stuff?

You did.  I was talking about the case where you get shells or other
information from users' home directories, and one of the fileservers
housing user volumes is down, so you get to wait while it times out.

   Sr. Research Systems Programmer