[OpenAFS] a noobs question and problems on a new cell

Thomas Kula kula@tproa.net
Fri, 4 May 2007 09:27:47 -0400

On Fri, May 04, 2007 at 08:53:19AM -0400, Jason Edgecombe wrote:
> The typical scenario is as follows:
>
> /afs/domain/volume is the read-only copy if it exists.
> /afs/.domain/volume is always the read-write copy. <-- note the
> /afs/<dot>domain This is referred to at the "dotted" path.
>
> writing to the read-only path of /afs/domain/volume will get the error
> "read-only filesystem". To write, you must use the path /afs/.domain/volume

Remember that this is just convention --- it's a very highly
recommended one, I think, and every place I've touched AFS
uses this or some variant of it. What makes this work is
the fact that /afs/.cellname is the mount point explicitly
for the R/W version of root.cell for <cellname>, and going
through that gets you the R/W versions of volumes --- the
semantics for when the cache manager prefers R/O volumes
and when it prefers R/W volumes has been sent out before
on this list.

--
Thomas L. Kula | kula@tproa.net | http://kula.tproa.net/