[OpenAFS] a noobs question and problems on a new cell

Christopher D. Clausen cclausen@acm.org
Fri, 4 May 2007 13:55:37 -0500

Adnoh <adnoh@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> ok, I try to explain.
>
> we have several districts connected to our headquarter over a vpn.
> In every district we have ~50-150 windows-clients and a samba server
> ( all authenticating against a Win2003 Server with ADS)
> for their filestorage with an usb-hdd attached for backup purpose.
> In our headquarter we would have enough space to hold all the company
> data and backup.
> so i would have something like
> /afs/domain/dist1/data
> /afs/domain/dist2/data
> /afs/domain/dist3/data
> /afs/domain/shared/data
> where every district has it's own data folder and one volume where
> all the districts work together in.
> the backup should be done on a central place (our headquarter).

What do you mean by "backup" ?

> so if somebody can explain me how you would build this scenario it
> would be really great for me to get started ;-)))

As you said, just create volumes, set quotas and mount them and backup
data to the appropriate central location.

If you want to actually have seperate fileservers at the external site
and use AFS volume replication, well, that would take some planning and
you'd need to provide more information to have a good solution defined.

-----

I suspect that you may want to actually pay someone to design a setup
for you if you do not have the expertise to design it yourself.

<<CDC