[OpenAFS] AFS outage, impact of "moving" root.cell.readonly, root.afs.readonly

Kim Kimball dhk@ccre.com
Thu, 10 May 2007 13:18:53 -0600

'vos delentry' is particularly dangerous -- it removes the entire VLDB
entry and none of the data.

I had an admin (who I, embarrasingly enough, trained) who thought 'vos
delentry' was the command to use when deleting a volume.

He learned a lot about 'vos syncvldb' and 'vos syncserv' (to repair the
VLDB.)

Some of these commands could be improved by issuing a warning -- my pet
peeve is "bos salvage <fileserver> [<partition>]"

The first message is "shutting down fs" and it does.

I don't forget very often any more.  It used to take quite a while to
salvage 500 GB, and still irks my users/management/flight projects.

Kim