[OpenAFS] AFS outage, impact of "moving" root.cell.readonly, root.afs.readonly

Kim Kimball dhk@ccre.com
Thu, 10 May 2007 13:05:16 -0600

Derrick J Brashear wrote:
> On Thu, 10 May 2007, Christopher D. Clausen wrote:
>
>> [....]
>>
>>> 'vos remsite':
>>>
>>> "This command is useful for removing read-only sites that
>>> were mistakenly created with the vos addsite command, before
>>> the vos release command actually releases them."
>>
>> That seems like a waste of a command.  It would only be used in very
>> rare situations that are otherwise correctable (just vos release and
>> then vos remove.)  And why can't vos remove, vos zap or vos delentry be
>> used to remove a non-released replica?
>
> consider the case that you remsite something temporarily, leave the
> data, and then addsite later when you want clients to see it again...

Keeping in mind that for up to two hours a client may rely on cached
VLDB entry, right?  That is, the 'vos remsite' won't affect all clients
immediately (unless callbacks have been added for VLDB entries and I
missed it.)

Another case is "I just added a site to server X but meant to add to
server Y."  As long as I haven't 'vos released' the volume, then 'vos
remsite' is the way to correct the VLDB entry.