[OpenAFS] AFS outage, impact of "moving" root.cell.readonly, root.afs.readonly

Kim Kimball dhk@ccre.com
Thu, 10 May 2007 13:00:41 -0600

<head>
</head>
Actually, <br>
vos remove &lt;server&gt; &lt;partition&gt; &lt;volumename&gt;.readonly<br>
&nbsp;is the easier command<br>
vos remsite removes only the RO site info from the VLDB<br>
vos zap removes only the RO volume from the server/partition<br>
Done one after the other in either order will work fine as you have
discovered.<br>
vos remove does both<br>
-- if I vos zap a volume the VLDB refers to it but it cannot be found
where indicated.<br>
-- if I vos remsite a volume the VLDB no longer refers to it and it
won't be found (after cached volume info is refreshed)<br>
-- if I vos remove the VLDB site info is removed and the volume is
removed<br>
'vos remove' is the definitive way to remove .readonly volumes.&nbsp; If
removing the clone (RO on same server and partition as RW) be sure to
specify .readonly suffix or the RW will be removed without warning.<br>
Kim<br>
Christopher D. Clausen wrote:
 type="cite">
  <pre wrap="">Kim Kimball <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:dhk@ccre.com">&lt;dhk@ccre.com&gt;</a> wrote:
  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">Sorry for the delay in answering this.  Went out of town for a while.

Four file servers, all with root.cell.readonly/root.afs.readonly
instances.

Used "vos remove" to remove one instance of each from one file server.
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->
And you did NOT use vos remsite on the replication point first?  I
suspect that would be a problem.

I always vos remsite before vos remove / vos zap the old RO replica.  If
you don't, I suspect that the vldb might still reference those servers
as having RO replicas, even though you removed them with vos remove.

Perhaps someone else has the definative guide on removing RO replicas
from servers and then removing the .readonly volume.

&lt;&lt;CDC