[OpenAFS] a noobs question and problems on a new cell

Adnoh adnoh@users.sourceforge.net
Tue, 15 May 2007 23:54:49 -0700 (PDT)

Hello everyone, I'm back again :-)

very big thanks to every one who tried to help me to get some light into my
afs knowledge-darkness.
so i think afs can do amazing stuff but it also needs the end users to have
some computing skills which my users didn't have. they will never realize
the need for accessing some files in /afs/domain/mydir and others in
/afs/domain/.mydir
I need to think about the design of my afs namespace again - maybe i get it
work as I need it.
maybe I fall back to a rsync solution or setup afs-fileservers in every
district which distributes their own RW-instance of that locations data.
/afs/domain/distric1/oux /afs/domain/distric1/ouy /afs/domain/district2/oux
... and so on.

by the way, yes I know DFS - but I'm not willing to spend all that money
needed for a Windows server in every district just for DFS. some of my goals
for the next few years is to get the whole redmond-stuff away from our
organisation... it is everywhere, and it is even getting more - just like a
virus - on our company pcs, on our telephone system, on my mobile-phone, yes
- in our cars it is right know, too ... but that's my personal dislike.

again, thanks for everyone have so much patience with me - didn't see that
very often on a mailing list.

Cheers