[OpenAFS] Newbie, installation help needed.

Thomas Kula kula@tproa.net
Wed, 16 May 2007 00:04:38 -0400

On Tue, May 15, 2007 at 11:56:59PM -0400, Neil Woolstencroft wrote:

>    When  i  create  the partition do i call it "/vicep" or do i literally
>    call it "/vicepXX" ?

You can have up to 255 vice partitions (I believe that is the correct
number). They are of the form /vicepX or /vicepXY, for example /vicepa
or /vicepaa (I tend to have a couple partitions per file server, and
typically call them /vicepa, /vicepb and /vicepc)

>    Second: I downloaded the latest source from [1]openafs.org (the source
>    code)  since  there  is  no distribution for Ubuntu, untared and did a
>    ./configure and I got these two errors:
>

>    checking  your OS... configure: WARNING: No usable linux headers found
>    at  /usr/src/linux  so disabling kernel module linux checking your AFS
>    sysname... configure: error: Couldn't guess your Linux version. Please
>    use the --with-afs-sysname option to configure an AFS sysname.

It's been a while since I've compiled OpenAFS on a linux machine, I believe
what this is really telling you is that you need to get the kernel headers
for whatever kernel you are running and make sure they show up under
/usr/src/linux. Typically a distro has a kernel development package
that you can install that gets you what you want. Someone who has done
this recently can give more info.

--
Thomas L. Kula | kula@tproa.net | http://kula.tproa.net/