[OpenAFS] Fwd: OpenAFS Newbie thinking about intra-cell dynamic DNS

Thomas Kula kula@tproa.net
Wed, 16 May 2007 01:43:38 -0400

On Tue, May 15, 2007 at 09:36:50PM -0700, Doug Hirsch wrote:

> I read your answer to another question on OpenAFS-info and noticed
> your hostname.  By any chance, have you come up with or heard a way to
> run a distributed cell across dynamic DNS?  The most promising
> strategy I recall from last week at the best practices workshop was
> OpenVPN.  To put a fine point on the question, what I think I want to
> do is have a cell include servers at a couple of friends' homes,
> behind their DHCP addressed NATs.  Yes, I may be crazy; no I haven't a
> notion yet of the bandwidth required for this to work smoothly, but
> figure slowly changing volumes might not be too bad.

Running a cell (or multiple) over private networks joined
via OpenVPN works just fine. I get to two friend's cells that
way. My home cell is based at two physical locations joined
by OpenVPN as well --- the servers are all on publicly accessable
IPs, but I have bits of private network space at both ends that
like to talk to each other and the public machines as well.

OpenAFS won't care. OpenVPN works well, once you wrap your
head around it.

--
Thomas L. Kula | kula@tproa.net | http://kula.tproa.net/