[OpenAFS] cyrus with storage in afs?

Robert Banz banz@umbc.edu
Mon, 21 May 2007 13:50:29 -0400

>> Cyrus was designed to use a local filesystem with Unix semantics
>> and a working mmap()/write() combination. AFS doesn't provide
>> these semantics so won't work correctly.
>
>   http://www.ibr.cs.tu-bs.de/cgi-bin/dwww?type=file&location=/usr/
> share/doc/cyrus21-doc/html/faq.html
>
> Is this still the case, or does this refer to problems specific to
> older versions of Transarc/OpenAFS?  If not, could anybody point me to
> more detail on how interleaved mmap() and write() have different
> semantics on AFS than they do on most other filesystems?

Don't try to use Cyrus on AFS.  It's a losing proposition from a
performance and data integrity standpoint.  Put your cyrus data on
local or SAN connected filestores, and use murder for scalability and
Cyrus' replication for redundancy.

Cyrus *can* tie in with your AFS ptserver for group management, though.

-rob