[OpenAFS] Please explain RPM packaging of config files like ThisCell and CellServeDB

Simon Wilkinson sxw@inf.ed.ac.uk
Tue, 6 Nov 2007 23:43:25 +0000

Here's what currently happens with the RPMs from openafs.org (note
that there are other OpenAFS builds available, which will have
different behaviour).

We don't distribute a 'CellServDB' file as such. Instead, the RPM has
a script that runs immediately following installation which combines
the contents of CellServDB.dist (which comes from the RPM) and
CellServDB.local (in which you can make local additions) to produce
CellServDB. CellServDB is the only file that is read by OpenAFS itself.

'ThisCell'  and 'cacheinfo' are marked as configuration files in the
RPM spec. This means that if we don't change them between releases,
then any changes you make will remain in place. However, if something
in those files changes between releases, your changes will be moved
to a '.rpmorig' file, and the ones from the RPM installed. This is
probably suboptimal - I'll look at fixing this.

If you have a CellServDB.rpmorig, it suggests that you're not using
the current OpenAFS RPMs. How recently was that file created?

Cheers,

Simon.