[OpenAFS] Automatic move of volumes

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Tue, 06 Nov 2007 21:56:09 -0800

"Derrick Brashear" <shadow@gmail.com> writes:
> On 10/24/07, Steven Jenkins <steven.jenkins@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Assuming your new location does not already have the ROs on it:

>> 1 vos listvol to get the list of volumes to move; if the old location
>> is not empty, then, in this order:
>> 2 For RO volumes: vos addsite to the new location, vos release, vos
>> remove old ROs
>> 3 For RW volumes: vos move
>> 4 For .backup volumes: vos backup (or backupsys, depending on how you
>> made them in the first place) once the RW volumes are moved
>> 5 Goto 1

> perl scripts exist to do it and I think have been posted here in the past;
> they may even deal with the "RO already exists" case.

Yeah, mvto can deal with that case.  It still has a few edge cases that it
doesn't deal with completely happily, but it aborts rather than attempting
them.

> the interesting case is where the RW has unreleased changes and you want
> to recreate the ROs as they are now. i don't know of distributed tools
> to do this.

frak and bundle can revert changes while storing them in a side directory
and then reapply them later, but that's not really the same thing.

It would be nice if vos move could just move ROs.