[OpenAFS] E212: Can't open file for writing

Christopher D. Clausen cclausen@acm.org
Fri, 16 Nov 2007 10:02:46 -0600

Ron Croonenberg <ronc@depauw.edu> wrote:
> Christopher D. Clausen wrote:
>> Ron Croonenberg <ronc@depauw.edu> wrote:
>>> Uhm...  I noticed that after a while (an hour or so)that problem
>>> "fixed itself" ? It looks like I copied the files there and it took
>>> a long while before it was actually there (even though sftp said it
>>> transferred the files)?
>>
>> Writes go to your AFS cache first, and then to the fileserver.  You
>> could see a large hang at the "end" of a transfer as the data is
>> flushed out of the local cache and actually written to the AFS
>> fileserver.
>
> Especially with large files  ?

Probably, yes.  Larger files will take longer to write on the fileserver
side.  I've found that using a smaller cache size and using -memcache
allows the cache to be flushed periodically and lessen these hangs on
file close.

<<CDC