[OpenAFS] 1.2.X and 1.4.5 Interoperation

Stephen Joyce stephen@physics.unc.edu
Mon, 19 Nov 2007 16:53:37 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007, Steve Simmons wrote:

> On Nov 15, 2007, at 11:37 AM, Kevin Scott Sumner wrote:
>
>> Is there ANYTHING that could POSSIBLY break when we have a mixture of these
>> 1.2 and 1.4 servers running together?  Version issues, OS issues, Endian
>> issues, etc.
>
> I did pretty much what you describe going from old 1.2 to early 1.4 and don't
> recall any significant problems. On the other hand, our DB server was a
> separate host, so we didn't quite represent your environment.

Our DB servers are separate from our fileservers.

I think what Kevin was asking was in the transition from 1.2.10 on
solaris/sparc to 1.4.5 on debian/x86, there will be times when there is a
mixed environment where all the DB servers are not running the same OS or
even on the same architecture. Is this OK or should all the DB servers be
upgraded at once (which is logistically more difficult).

Cheers, Stephen
--
Stephen Joyce
Systems Administrator                                            P A N I C

Don't judge a book by its movie.