[OpenAFS-Doc] Re: [OpenAFS] Quick Start Guide updated for Kerberos v5

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Wed, 28 Nov 2007 20:03:09 -0800

Jason Edgecombe <jason@rampaginggeek.com> writes:

> chapter1:
>     * about upgrading OS:
>         **Should the namei fileserver be mentioned? Is namei the
> recommended way?

inode is still recommended for Solaris.  namei is recommended in all other
cases, and generally is the only possible method.

> chapter 2:
>   * getting started on solaris:
>         ** it still mentions copying files from cd-rom (grep for "CD-ROM")

Yeah, this needs to get fixed throughout the manual, replaced with
instructions about how to start from the downloaded binary build or to
build from source.

>         **only mentions solaris 7, it should mention 8, 9 &
> 10/opensolaris or just say 7 & later versions

Yup.

>        ** about fsck: does solaris use inode, namei or both? Is
> clarification needed?

Solaris can use either, so yes, clarification is needed.  I'm fairly sure
you don't need the custom fsck if you use namei.

> "The entry for AFS server processes, called either *afs* or
> *afs//cell/*. No user logs in under this identity, but it is used to
> encrypt the server tickets that granted to AFS clients for presentation
> to server processes during mutual authentication."
>
> should that be "...that are granted to AFS clients..."?

Yup.

The source for this is in DocBook in the OpenAFS CVS head, and patches are
certainly welcome.