[OpenAFS] What's the problem with reiser

chas williams - CONTRACTOR chas@cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Thu, 29 Nov 2007 08:36:31 -0500

In message <20071129.132450.222201899.haba@habanero.pdc.kth.se>,Harald Barth wr
ites:
>> We use openafs clients on a lot of machines. The local Filesystems are
>> usually reiser. But for the DiskCache we have to install one partition
>> with ext2.
>
>To all my experience, reiserfs is broken. I recommend NOT to use that
>file system. At all. As a cache file system ext2 is fine, because it

as i recall resiferfs doesnt work because it doesnt keep a fixed
mapping between file objects and what afs would consider the inode.
i believe people have been lucky with using a reisferfs cache filesystem
but it had to be on a seperate partition.  normally, its journaling
that creates trouble for caching filesystems.  personally, unless you
have a need for massive amounts of cache, use memcache.

search through the list archives for a better answers about this.

this info doesnt appear to be in the wiki, so perhaps it needs one.
(and one that is more correct than my vague ramblings).