[OpenAFS] File systems on Linux, again.

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Thu, 29 Nov 2007 11:35:50 -0800

"Smith, Matt" <matt.smith@uconn.edu> writes:

> After the recent thread "openafs upgrade from 1.4.1 to 1.5.7", and a
> review of a thread[1] from July, I'm wondering if there is a definitive
> recommendation for which file system to use on Linux AFS file servers.
> Ext3, XFS, JFS, something else?

It shouldn't make much of a difference, so I think you're safe choosing
your file system on whatever basis you'd choose a file system for any
other file server.  We use ext3 because of the stability, reliability, and
"center of the mainstream" support in the kernel, which we always
considered more important than a bit of additional speed, but your mileage
may vary.

XFS is probably the next most common choice.

I would be very leery of ReiserFS.  It has nice features, but the recovery
tools are fairly horrific.