[OpenAFS] Which storage technology to use for terabytes of storage with AFS?

Steve Devine sdevine@msu.edu
Fri, 30 Nov 2007 11:27:40 -0500

Jason Edgecombe wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Traditionally, we have used direct-attached scsi disk packs on Sun Sparc
> servers running Solaria 9 for OpenAFS. This has given us the most bang
> for the buck. We forgo RAID because we have the backup capabilities of AFS.
>
> What types of storage technologies are other AFS sites using for their
> AFS vicep partitions? We need to figure our future direction for the
> next couple of years. Fibre channel seems all the rage, but it's quite
> expensive. I'm open to any and all feedback. What works? What doesn't?
> What offers the best bang for the buck on an OpenAFS server?
>
> This is for an academic environment that fills both academic and
> research needs. Researchers are asking for lots of AFS space (200GB+).
> Of course this needs to be backed up as well.
>
> Thanks,
> Jason

We are using Iscsi for user vols. We put volumes that require higher
performance on a Fiber Based San.

--
Steve Devine
Network Storage & Printing

506 Computer Center
East Lansing, MI 48824-1042
1-517-432-7327

Baseball is ninety percent mental; the other half is physical.
- Yogi Berra