[OpenAFS] Which storage technology to use for terabytes of storage with AFS?

Rob Banz rob@nofocus.org
Fri, 30 Nov 2007 11:39:05 -0500

Don't forgo some sort of live data protection -- most likely via
RAID.  If these volumes are RW, and you have a storage failure, you're
going to be putting yourself and your users through hell waiting for
stuff to be restored.

If you're not looking for super performance, go for a RAID5ish
solution (or something like a JBOD + raidz using ZFS on Solaris), or
if performance is an issue, hardware or software mirroring is the way
to go.

Storage is cheap -- your time and your users isn't.  There are
affordable FC-attached options out there, such as the Apple XRAID*,
and other similar options from smaller vendors.  You can probably find
yourself some similar-priced options that do iSCSI from some of the
smaller storage vendors out there.

Also -- avoid the Linux game.  Go with Solaris 10 and ZFS.  You've got
a solid storage architecture, and a top-of-the-line filesystem, and
you can skip these silly ext3/ext2/reiser/xfs/xvm discussions on the
list ;)

-rob

* Apple basically gives these things away to higher-ed, and they offer
pretty damn nice pricing on Qlogic's stackable switches.  Talk to your
apple rep.  They work great with Solaris too ;)