[OpenAFS] Which storage technology to use for terabytes of storage with AFS?

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Fri, 30 Nov 2007 11:52:14 -0800

Jason Edgecombe <jason@rampaginggeek.com> writes:

> What types of storage technologies are other AFS sites using for their
> AFS vicep partitions? We need to figure our future direction for the
> next couple of years. Fibre channel seems all the rage, but it's quite
> expensive. I'm open to any and all feedback. What works? What doesn't?
> What offers the best bang for the buck on an OpenAFS server?

We're currently using fibre-channel SAN to Nexsan disk and some
fibre-channel to EMC disk, and soon will be experimenting with
fibre-channel to Netapp.  We're also considering experimenting with
NFS-mounting Netapp and using that as an AFS vice partition, but that's
more in the way of a science experiment rather than something we'll
probably run in production.