[OpenAFS] Howto speedup the restore of a crashed fileserver

Brian Sebby sebby@anl.gov
Mon, 1 Oct 2007 18:01:39 -0500

I ended up writing a script to use the commmand 'vos dump' to dump each
AFS volume to a local disk partition, then back up that partition with
standard backup utilities.  The 'vos dump' command creates a file on the
local disk that contains the entire volume, including all of the ACLs.
Since you can have links in AFS to the same volume multiple times, it's a
lot safer to do volume-based backups rather than walking AFS.

I could get you a copy of my dump script if you're interested; I'd just
have to scrub out all of our site-specific information.

Brian

On Mon, Oct 01, 2007 at 10:14:39PM +0100, Jose Calhariz wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 01, 2007 at 03:41:16PM -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:
> > Jose Calhariz <jose.calhariz@tagus.ist.utl.pt> writes:
> >=20
> > >
> > > I have tarballs with the contents of AFS using admin credentials.
> >=20
> > Note that you'll have to manually repair the acls; tar doesn't save
> > them.
>=20
> It's on my todo list, to find a command to export and import AFS
> acls.  So it can be collected by tar.
>=20
> >=20
> > -derek
> >=20
>=20
>     Jos=E9 Calhariz
>=20
> --=20
> P.S. [En_US] The sig below is from my random sig-generator, which stran=
gely
> often seems to pick signatures which are apropriate to the message at
> hand!
>=20
> P.S. [Pt_Pt] A assinatura em baixo =E9 do gerador aleat=F3rio de
> assinaturas, que estranhamente, escolhe com frequ=EAncia assinaturas qu=
> parecem apropriadas ao email!
> --
> 	Infeliz o povo que precisa de herois.
> 		-- Bertold Brecht=20

--=20
Brian Sebby  (sebby@anl.gov)  |  Unix and Operation Services
Phone: +1 630.252.9935        |  Computing and Information Systems
Fax:   +1 630.252.4601        |  Argonne National Laboratory