[OpenAFS] Howto speedup the restore of a crashed fileserver

Jose Calhariz jose.calhariz@tagus.ist.utl.pt
Tue, 2 Oct 2007 06:00:06 +0100

--RnlQjJ0d97Da+TV1

On Mon, Oct 01, 2007 at 04:15:04PM -0400, Jason Edgecombe wrote:
> Jose Calhariz wrote:
> > On Mon, Oct 01, 2007 at 11:25:03AM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> >  =20
> >> Jose Calhariz <jose.calhariz@tagus.ist.utl.pt> writes:
> >>
> >>    =20
> >> What did you tar up?  I can think of a lot of possibilities (the raw n=
amei
> >> filesystem, the contents of AFS archived with admin credentials, tarba=
lls
> >> of volume dumps), and the answer somewhat depends.
> >>    =20
> >
> > I have tarballs with the contents of AFS using admin credentials.
> >
> >  =20
> >> If you've archived AFS via tar using admin credentials, I'm not sure
> >> there's anything you can do that's faster than creating new volumes and
> >> untarring the contents into those volumes.  You can do that directly on
> >> the relevant file server to reduce your network latency a little.
> >>
> >>    =20
> >
> > OK
> >
> >  =20
> If you're not already, I recommend restoring into a local directory,
> then copying into AFS. That will at least make the tape part go faster
> and reduce wear and tear on the tapes and drive.

I am doing that,  As I can recover from tapes faster than I can write to
AFS.  Specially because I use virtual tapes on disks.

>=20
> Jason
>=20

    jos=E9 Calhariz

--=20
P.S. [En_US] The sig below is from my random sig-generator, which strangely
often seems to pick signatures which are apropriate to the message at
hand!

P.S. [Pt_Pt] A assinatura em baixo =E9 do gerador aleat=F3rio de
assinaturas, que estranhamente, escolhe com frequ=EAncia assinaturas que
parecem apropriadas ao email!
--
	Infeliz o povo que precisa de herois.
		-- Bertold Brecht=20