[OpenAFS] Howto speedup the restore of a crashed fileserver

Christopher D. Clausen cclausen@acm.org
Tue, 2 Oct 2007 08:23:03 -0500

Jason Edgecombe <jason@rampaginggeek.com> wrote:
> Jose Calhariz wrote:
>>> If you're not already, I recommend restoring into a local directory,
>>> then copying into AFS. That will at least make the tape part go
>>> faster and reduce wear and tear on the tapes and drive.
>>>

>> I am doing that,  As I can recover from tapes faster than I can
>> write to AFS.  Specially because I use virtual tapes on disks.
>>
> Do you have multiple AFS servers? If so, are you copying files to
> different servers simultaneously? Perhaps it's worthwhile to set up a
> temporary server and then do a "vos move" of the volumes after
> everything has settled.

What are the settings on the client you are using to restore the files
into AFS?  I'd suggest maybe using a memcache while doing restores.
Should avoid needing to write the data into the AFS cache file.
Additionally, is the AFS cache file on the same block device as your
vice partitions?  Keeping things on seperate physical disks should help.

<<CDC