[OpenAFS] Howto speedup the restore of a crashed fileserver

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
Tue, 02 Oct 2007 09:51:39 -0400

Jose Calhariz <jose.calhariz@tagus.ist.utl.pt> writes:

>> Note that you'll have to manually repair the acls; tar doesn't save
>> them.
>
> It's on my todo list, to find a command to export and import AFS
> acls.  So it can be collected by tar.

I'll also point out that using tar to backup AFS is a bad idea
because of potential loops.  You're much better off iterating
and dumping each volume to a file and then backing up the file.
You could even do incremental dumps, too, so you don't need to
backup all your data every time.  This can save you time AND
effort because it'll be much faster to backup AND restore, and
it'll save proper volume mountpoints and ACLs automatically for you.

Yes, I know it doesn't help you with your current restore process,
but it will help you next time.

-derek