[OpenAFS] OpenAFS, NAT, IPtables

ted creedon tcreedon@easystreet.net
Tue, 2 Oct 2007 07:49:08 -0700

Doesn't look like you got the rest of the message:

It ran fine dual homed for a few years until Comcast discovered 8 breaks in
the 800 ft cable to my office. Its been replaced with cable in conduit and
I'm piecing my life back together with a usable internet connection.

Even e-mail was affected periodically.

The last 2 years have been sheer hell and I'm trying to reverse engineer the
way I did it dual homed AFS.

Issues are:

1. eth0 and eth1 sometimes switch between LAN and WAN after running Yast -
fix is to identify each by MAC address and assign consistently. This
switches the Fwbuilder firewall rules on the AFS Linux box.

2. Revisit the firewall rules now that the problem may have been broken
packets. The fact that it AFS worked at all is amazing.

3. There isn't an issue with AFS listening on 2 or more IP addresses. The
problem is writing scripts for the SuSE implementation of dhcp (there are 2
selectable versions). When there is an address change a script needs to run.
It looks like ddclient is in there somewhere.

4. Normally I document all this on my internal wiki but evidently I didn't.

5. I pay $9/mo for 5 "sticky" ip addresses which are fairly stable for 6
months or more. I use dhs.org to dns serve the addresses.

6. Kerberos seems to work fine in this configuration.

Later

tedc