*** Spam *** Re: [OpenAFS] AFS Fileserver Won't Start --> Can't Release root.cell or root.afs

Kim Kimball dhk@ccre.com
Fri, 05 Oct 2007 07:07:07 -0600

<head>
</head>
Have you tried changeaddr from 127.0.0.1 to &lt;whatever the IP address
of server is&gt; ??<br>
You might also try <br>
vos remove &lt;server&gt; &lt;partition&gt;
&lt;volumename&gt;.readonly&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; #for each readonly instance<br>
vos backup &lt;volumename&gt;<br>
vos dump &lt;volumename&gt;.backup | vos restore &lt;server&gt;
&lt;partition&gt; &lt;volumename&gt; -overwrite full<br>
Use the same volume name for each instance of &lt;volumename&gt;<br>
This will give you a new volumeID for &lt;volumename&gt; which will be
reflected in the VLDB.<br>
Then "vos addsite" to replace the RO sites.<br>
Then "vos release"<br>
Kim<br>
Christopher D. Clausen wrote:
 type="cite">
  <pre wrap="">Karl M. Davis <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:karl@ridgetop-group.com">&lt;karl@ridgetop-group.com&gt;</a> wrote:
  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">I then tried running "vos changeaddr -oldaddr 127.0.0.1 -remove", but
it looks like some of my volumes are still "stuck" on the old IP:

karl@picacho:~$ sudo vos changeaddr -oldaddr 127.0.0.1 -remove
-localauth -verbose
Could not remove server 127.0.0.1 from the VLDB
VLDB: volume Id exists in the vldb
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->
I'd say to try and get a good vos dump of each volume that you care
about so that you can at least restore to a new cell if things go bad
from here.

Usually I'd fix this finding the volume that is listed as being on that
IP and moving it to another server :-)  But it would seem that you have
already done that.  I guess its possible that the vldb still thinks that
127.0.0.1 is one of the servers somehow.  Did you try restarting your
file servers?

Does vos syncvldb/syncserv do anything useful for you?  If not, it
should be safe to shutdown the AFS server and delete the VL db files and
have them get recreated at server startup.  (Might need to delete the
sysid file as well.)

Or, vos dumping, deleting, and recreate each volume via vos restore may
fix it, assuming you have fixed all 127.0.0.1 problems.

  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">How would I go about resolving this?  By the way, thanks very much
for all of your help so far; you've really saved my ass on this.
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->
No problem.  I'm glad it helped.

&lt;&lt;CDC