[OpenAFS] Automatic move of volumes

Brian Sebby sebby@anl.gov
Wed, 24 Oct 2007 09:10:07 -0500

On Wed, Oct 24, 2007 at 09:56:36AM -0400, Derrick Brashear wrote:
> On 10/24/07, Steven Jenkins <steven.jenkins@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On 10/24/07, Derrick Brashear <shadow@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > perl scripts exist to do it and I think have been posted here in the
> > past;
> > > they may even deal with the "RO already exists" case.
> > >

> > It would be nice if there were a repository of publically available
> > contrib stuff like that.
> >
> > > the interesting case is where the RW has unreleased changes and you want
> > > recreate the ROs as they are now. i don't know of distributed tools to
> > do
> > > this.
> > >

> > I hadn't really thought about people intentionally keeping their RWs &
> > ROs out of sync w/each other.  I'm not clear why someone would want to
> > do that -- could you elaborate?
>

> using the RW as a the "beta" copy of data and releasing the changes after
> testing them. i know of web backend services using AFS set up this way.

We do this with some of our web servers.  It works pretty well for letting
the developers preview data.

As for scripts, we have a series of scripts to move volumes from one
volume to another, which keep track of the RO and RW volumes, and handle
the RO already exists case.  Let me check with our admin who wrote them
to see if he's ok with me posting them to the list.  (I may also need to
make sure there's nothing specific to our cell in the scripts.)

Oh, and just another warning about directly moving files from the native
file system from /vicepa to /vicepb, not only would I consider that to be
dangerous to do in almost all cases, it also would only work if you're
using namei.  I know that most sites seem to be using namei these days,
but I'm sure there are still a number of inode servers still around.

Brian

--
Brian Sebby  (sebby@anl.gov)  |  Unix and Operation Services
Phone: +1 630.252.9935        |  Computing and Information Systems