[OpenAFS] Disconnected OpenAFS

Sun, 23 Sep 2007 20:46:42 -0400

Matt Benjamin wrote:
> Jeffrey Altman wrote:
>> Some work has been done on integrating UNIX read-only disconnected mode
>> onto the CVS HEAD.
>
> Since Simon Wilkinson has apparently made progress with merging the CITI
> disconnected AFS patches with OpenAFS, I thought that was the direction
> for disconnected operation?  Are you talking about the same effort?

Yes, this is the same effort.

>> The hard part about disconnected operation is not what happens in the
>> cache manager but the user interface that must go with it so that users
>> can determine what data should be available in the cache when the client
>> goes off-line and how collisions should be resolved when the client is
>> back on-line and the data on the server has been changed.
>
> That issue is addressed in the CITI disconnected AFS, at least for the
> command line.

I do not find the CITI disconnected AFS user experience one that can be
deployed to the general public.  It is a first step but it is far from a
complete solution to the problem space.

>> There are also issues surrounding file locks that must be resolved.
>
> One has to start somewhere...

Sure, you can start to experiment anywhere you like, but please don't
ask me to deploy it to end users who won't understand any of the
technical details.

Jeffrey Altman