[OpenAFS] Strange access problems on one client

Todd M. Lewis Todd M. Lewis" <utoddl@email.unc.edu
Mon, 24 Sep 2007 07:39:45 -0400

Harald Barth wrote:
>> heini@gondolin ~ % LANG="" ll /afs/grand.central.org/
>> ls: cannot access /afs/grand.central.org/local: No such file or directory
>> ls: cannot access /afs/grand.central.org/software: No such file or directory
>> total 14K
>> drwxrwxrwx 3 root root 2.0K Jun 17  2004 archive/
>> drwxrwxrwx 2 root root 2.0K May  7  2006 cvs/
>> drwxrwxrwx 3 root root 2.0K Mar 21  2003 doc/
>> ?????????? ? ?    ?       ?            ? local
>> drwxrwxrwx 2 root root 2.0K Jun 17  2005 project/
>> drwxrwxrwx 5 root root 2.0K Jan 30  2007 service/
>> ?????????? ? ?    ?       ?            ? software
>> drwxrwxrwx 2 root root 2.0K Aug 25 00:15 user/
>> drwxrwxrwx 5 root root 2.0K Aug 24 20:10 www/
>
> That is really strange because I can't see why doc should differ from
> software. Both are mountpoints with similar ACL and permissions.

If I had to take a wild guess, I'd say clock drift. Your client's clock is
far enough off that your token is seen as valid for some servers, but
invalid for others. I'm guessing that your servers are not totally in sync
either, maybe just a few seconds or a couple of minutes off, but your
client's clock is probably right at the edge of too far off.

You may not have access to the servers themselves, but before you go
fixing anything else it would be interesting to know what servers "doc"
and "software" are on vs. the other mountpoints that listed okay.
    / Todd_Lewis@unc.edu  919-445-9302  http://www.unc.edu/~utoddl /
   /       "I have never killed a man, but I have read many       /
  /      obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow      /