[OpenAFS] OpenAFS and OpenSUSE build service.

Christof Hanke hanke@rzg.mpg.de
Wed, 26 Sep 2007 13:22:56 +0300

Ken Aaker wrote:

> I was looking around OpenSUSE.org and looked at some of their Build
> Service information.
Me too, last week in fact.

> They have a couple of versions of OpenAFS modules available, 1.4..2 and
> 1.4.4, as well as libpag-openafs-session. I didn't see any familiar
> names on the packages. I'm going to give their modules a try when I get
> the 10.3 version shortly.

I asked Matthias Eckermann (who has the 1.4.2 packages in his
home-project home:mge1512) about the openafs-packages.
He agreed that I could copy it and update it to openafs-1.4.4, since he
wouldn't have the time for it.
Thus, under my home-project home:rzg0hank you can find the 1.4.4 packages.

> Has anybody tried these modules yet? They also make some claims about
> providing build services for several other distributions, like Fedora,
> Debian, Mandriva, and Ubuntu.

Well, since they're pretty new, I guess noone tested them yet.
At least they install (and the client works) on OpenSUSE10.2 i586, but I
haven't had time to try out more.
I guess there's a lot to fix, esp. there's no binary kernel-module yet.
Anyway, everyone should feel free to try them:
If you want to try them out, you can use following repository-information

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/rzg0hank/<DIST>/home:rzg0hank.repo
where <DIST> is one of openSUSE_10.2, SLES_9 or SLE_10 (sic!).
Since I have never used the suse-rpm before I'd appreciate any comment's
what's desired.
About the other Linux-Distros: It seems you can build rpm for them as
well, but I haven't actually seen doing it.

> (Just curious)

I just didn't tell it here yet, because of the drawbacks mentioned above.

Christof