[OpenAFS] problems with root volumes

Steve Gaarder gaarder1@math.cornell.edu
Thu, 3 Apr 2008 16:06:53 -0400 (EDT)

A couple weeks ago, one of my AFS servers lost its disks.  I recovered the root
partition from backup.  I did not have a backup of the /vicepa partition, no
problem, I thought, since it only contained RO replicas.  I just generated a
new one. Well, it turns out that it also contained the RW copies of root.afs
and root.cell.  So now I get some odd behavior, and vos.examine says:

vos examine 536870915
Could not fetch the information about volume 536870915 from the server
: No such device
Volume does not exist on server bernoulli.math.cornell.edu as indicated by the
VLDB

Can I regenerate RW copies from the RO ones, or?

thanks,

Steve Gaarder
System Administrator, Dept of Mathematics
Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, USA
gaarder@math.cornell.edu