[OpenAFS] kstart for windows ?

Christopher D. Clausen cclausen@acm.org
Thu, 3 Apr 2008 15:40:40 -0500

Hans Melgers <hans@enem.nl> wrote:
> I was wondering if there are ways to make a windows machine get tokens
> automatically, similar to Russ's kstart utility for *nix?  Or am i
> missing a cool feature in MIT KfW ?
> I need it for a win server to sync some files to afs every night.
> Anybody here who has done this before ?

Is the machine joined to a Windows domain?

Is the job running as a domain user or the local SYSTEM account?

If so, running ms2mit.exe and then aklog.exe should just work.  You
would of course then need to add the appropriate PTS entry for the
system COMPUTERNAME$ or so to PTS.  I have some winscp jobs I run this
way with Kerberos credentials for authentication.  Should work just as
well for direct AFS access, although going through another machine using
SSH is always an option.

A keytab will work as well.

You probably want to remember to unlog and kdestroy when the job is done
though, or the machine itself may be able to continue to write into AFS
and that could be bad.

<<CDC