[OpenAFS] Help needed for receovery of data of inode fileserver (Solaris 10 x86)

Hartmut Reuter reuter@rzg.mpg.de
Fri, 04 Apr 2008 15:43:44 +0200

Jeffrey Altman wrote:
> Hartmut Reuter wrote:
>
>> Jeffrey Altman wrote:

>>> What the AssertionFailed means is that no one has written code to
>>> deal with a case where this error has occurred.   It can't be
>>> fixed with Salvager until someone writes the missing code.
>>

>> Of course, but for the user it might be better to skip handling of
>> this error and to continue with the next vnode. So he could get back
>> at least the damaged volume and copy whatever is still accessible.
>>
>> So John, ifdef line 3175 and recompile. If this was a single bad vnode
>> your volume may come online again, otherwise it's probably lost anyway.
>>
>> Hartmut
>

> I disagree.   The reason that assert is there is that continuing
> will cause more damage to the data.  We do not know based upon
> the available data whether this is a single bad vnode or whether
> perhaps the wrong file is being reference for the SmallVnodeFile.
>
> What is known is that one vnode, perhaps the first vnode examined
> has completely valid data except for the fact that it is in the
> wrong file.
>
> There are several issues that are worth pursuing here.  Especially
> because whatever the problem is has begun occurring on multiple machines:
>
> 1. what is the actual damage that has taken place?
>
> 2. can the damage be correct?
>
> 3. can the damage be avoided in the first place?  What is the cause?
>
> Jeffrey Altman

Of course we should not remove the assert() forever, but just for the
test of this volume which otherwise probably will be lost anyway.

In MR-AFS we had a -nowrite option to do just a dry-run. I admit that
it's a lot work to implement this, but some times it is very helpful.

Hartmut