[OpenAFS] Re: coreutils-6.11 released

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Sat, 19 Apr 2008 18:25:51 -0700

Jim Meyering <jim@meyering.net> writes:

> Coreutils version 6.11 has been released.  This is a stable release.

[...]

> ** Improvements
>
>   id and groups work around an AFS-related bug whereby those programs
>   would print an invalid group number, when given no user-name argument.

I'm hoping that this doesn't mean that coreutils suppresses display of the
PAG group on a system running AFS, since seeing that group is valuable for
debugging.  It really is a supplemental group of the process, even though
it's created in the kernel rather than initialized from /etc/groups.  For
example:

windlord:~> id
uid=1000(eagle) gid=0(root) groups=0(root),4(adm),24(cdrom),29(audio),44(video),1000(eagle),1103312837
windlord:~> id --version
id (GNU coreutils) 6.10

that final group number is useful information.  It was always one of the
features of GNU id over, for example, the Solaris implementation that it
didn't suppress that group number, and I've used that before in programs.

Copied to the AFS list so that people are aware that a change happened in
this area, in case anyone notices differences after a coreutils upgrade.