[OpenAFS] zfs File system

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Mon, 21 Apr 2008 13:10:39 -0700

Robert Banz <rob@nofocus.org> writes:

> Well, the issue was if you're using it on a server, and using what a lot
> of people still consider the default (the inode fileserver), apocalyptic
> dataloss may occur.

Oh, right, I completely forgot about that.

> I would say that in addition to recommending people use logging with ufs
> (or better, zfs!), that we should also push for deprecation of the inode
> fileserver ;)

I think it's generally a good idea to stick with one server implementation
on all platforms since that way everyone runs the same (tested) code, but
I seem to recall the migration from inode to namei is pretty heinous (as
in you probably can't do it in place and need to bring up another server
and move everything).