[OpenAFS] zfs File system

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Mon, 21 Apr 2008 14:21:38 -0700

Robert Banz <rob@nofocus.org> writes:
> On Apr 21, 2008, at 1:10 PM, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> I think it's generally a good idea to stick with one server
>> implementation on all platforms since that way everyone runs the same
>> (tested) code, but I seem to recall the migration from inode to namei
>> is pretty heinous (as in you probably can't do it in place and need to
>> bring up another server and move everything).
>
> Nothing wrong with leaving the code in there, just don't make it the
> default.

The problem with changing the default is that I'm worried really bad
things then happen if you blindly update your Solaris file server from
before the default change to after the default change.

Maybe we could fix that so that it would safely error out.  (Maybe it
already does, actually; I've not checked.)