[OpenAFS] zfs File system

Jason Edgecombe jason@rampaginggeek.com
Mon, 21 Apr 2008 17:50:12 -0400

Russ Allbery wrote:
> Robert Banz <rob@nofocus.org> writes:
>
>> On Apr 21, 2008, at 1:10 PM, Russ Allbery wrote:
>>

>>> I think it's generally a good idea to stick with one server
>>> implementation on all platforms since that way everyone runs the same
>>> (tested) code, but I seem to recall the migration from inode to namei
>>> is pretty heinous (as in you probably can't do it in place and need to
>>> bring up another server and move everything).
>>>
>> Nothing wrong with leaving the code in there, just don't make it the
>> default.
>>

> The problem with changing the default is that I'm worried really bad
> things then happen if you blindly update your Solaris file server from
> before the default change to after the default change.
>
> Maybe we could fix that so that it would safely error out.  (Maybe it
> already does, actually; I've not checked.)

It does error out. A namei fileserver will refuse to start and log an
error message if a vice partition used to be inode. This happens even if
you run "rm -fr *". I had to run mkfs/newfs on my vice partitions in
order to switch formats -- after moving the data off, of course.

on a good note, namei seems to be faster than inode node for vos
operations. The speed-up with ufs logging vs. nologging is worth
switching to namei.

Jason